The Stillwater Support Group meets from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM usually on the second Wednesday of each month. Please check this site to confirm meeting date, time and agenda issues. The meetings are held at:
Family Means Center
1875 Northwestern Ave S.
Stillwater, MN 55082
✦ 2018 Meeting Schedule ✦
- January 10 – Ima Garcia, RN, MSN, ACNP-BC Immuno-Oncology Clinical Liaison/Hematology for Bristol-Myers Squibb U.S. Pharmaceuticals Medical will give a presentation on their monoclonal antibody, Empliciti (elotuzumab), which was approved in 2015 for use in combination with two other therapies to treat people with multiple myeloma who have received one to three prior medications / Open Discussion
- February 14 – SPECIAL MEETING – 12:00 Noon – The February meeting will be at Gulden’s restaurant (2999 North Hwy 61, Maplewood, MN 55109-1019). We will have our own room and order off the regular menu so share your stories and … can you pass the salt? If you’re not yet registered you can e-mail Bev Culy at email@example.com or phone her directly at 651-337-1746.
- March 14 – TBA / Open Discussion
- April 11 – Every time you go to the doctor they take your blood and sometimes more. What are they looking for? Julie West, RN, BSN, OCN Clinical Nurse Consultant from Celgene will join us to discuss lab tests and how to understand their values. / Open Discussion.
- May 9 – Dr. Brian Van Ness Ph.D, of the University of Minnesota College of Biological Sciences and President (Founder) of Target Genomics, LLC will will make a presentation and then answer questions about his recent research in genetics, biology, and development of myeloma cells. / Open Discussion
- June 13 – Veronika Bachanova, MD, PhD Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation at the University of Minnesota will give us a presentation about her breakthrough research and ongoing U of M trial using donor Natural Killer Cells in combination with Elotuzumab to destroy existing Myeloma cells and prevent the the body from creating new ones. You can listen to her MyelomaCrowd interview HERE / Open Discussion
- July 11 – Guided Open Discussion – Life is a series of challenges; personal, financial, health, and other. A diagnosis of Myeloma is incredibly disruptive and makes every other challenge that much more difficult to deal with. In this meeting our members will share the tips and coping strategies we’ve discovered to get through the challenging times in our lives.
- August 8 – Caregiver Breakout Session & Open Discussion
- September 12 – NOTE: Special Time and Location – Join us for our annual cruise up the Saint Croix River. Please arrive at the St. Croix Boat & Packet Co. (525 Main St S, Stillwater, MN 55082) between 11:15 and 11:30 to pay for the trip. The boat departs promptly at noon and returns at 2:30. Don’t worry about the weather, we sail rain or shine as the boat has fully enclosed sections. The cost of the trip includes lunch as well as the boat ride.
- October 10 – TBA / Open Discussion
- November 14 – An open forum with Dr Martha Lacy. Dr. Lacy is a hematologist/oncologist and a Professor of Medicine in the departments of hematology and transplant at the Mayo Clinic and the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine where clinical research centers on immunotherapy, stem cell transplant and novel agents to optimize treatment for multiple myeloma, amyloidosis, Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia and monoclonal gammopathy. In 2015 she was recognized with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s “Woman of the Year” Award.
- December 12 – 12:00 Noon – Christmas potluck buffet. NOTE THE TIME: This meeting is an hour earlier than usual. Join us to share food, stories, and your expectations for the coming year.
Stillwater Support Group
Barb Davis = Phone: 651-486-9360, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bev Culy = Phone: 651-337-1747, Email: email@example.com
Diane Zimmerhakl = Phone: 651-731-5442, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Stillwater Support Group Email: Stillwater@imfsupport.org