The Twin Cities Support Group meets on the second Saturday of each month
from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon in a
NEW ROOM LOCATION!
Heart & Vascular Center conference room B&C at Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital
6500 Excelsior Blvd.
Saint Louis Park, MN
(Park in the Blue Ramp at the front of the hospital,
the conference room is on the Ground floor.)
Following are the dates and agendas. Open Discussion refers to meetings where we share questions, news, stories, and topics for discussion. Almost all meetings have a Open Discussion period and many have guest speakers. We look forward to seeing you there.
❄︎ 2017 Meeting Schedule ❄︎
- January 14 – Neuropathy – Michael Boland of the Minnesota Neuropathy Association will discuss what they have learned about dealing with what is often the bane of our existence and the cost of our therapies / Open Discussion
- February 11 – Pat Harwood leads again! In her storied battle with Myeloma Pat has dealt with many of the problems that consume the time, money and spirit which plague people with the disease. Pat will share what she has learned about finding third-party support to help pay for therapies and other expenses. / Open Discussion.
- March 11 – Open Discussion.
- April 8 – Ima Garcia, – Ima Garcia, RN, MSN, ACNP-BC Immuno-Oncology Clinical Liaison/Hematology Bristol-Myers Squibb U.S. Pharmaceuticals Medical will give a presentation on their monoclonal antibody, Empliciti (elotuzumab) which was approved for use in combination with two other therapies to treat people with multiple myeloma who have received one to three prior medications / Open Discussion.
- May 13 – Naveen Bangia, PhD; Director, Scientific Affairs for the The Binding Site Inc. will discuss Lab Values and how Binding Site tests, Freelite and Heavylite, help doctors and researches tailor more individualized therapies, / Open Discussion.
- June 10 – SPECIAL MEETING replaces the June Support Group Meeting – The International Myeloma Foundation will hold its Annual Minnesota Regional Workshop at the Westin Edina Galleria. If you’ve never attended a workshop you don’t know what you’ve missed. A wealth of up to date information is presented in plain English so be prepared to take notes. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Scheduled speakers are:
• Craig Cole, MD University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
• Dr. Martha Lacy Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
• Teresa Miceli, RN, BSN, OCN Mayo Clinic-College of Medicine, Rochester, MN
Same day registration: 8AM -9AM, Workshop: 9:00AM – 3:00 PM.
Here is a link to the Event Info & Registration Page. Please preregister as it helps the organizers better plan the conference room’s layout and how many meals to order.
- July 8 – What is the link between Myeloma and diet? Alice Shapiro, PhD, RD, LN, Research Scientist of Food Science and Nutrition for Park Nicollet will share with us the best approach for eating well to live longer with Myeloma / Open Discussion.
- August 12 – Dr. Brian McClune, Assistant Professor in the Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation, in the Blood and Marrow Transplant (BMT) Clinic;University of Minnesota Masonic Cancer Center, will answer questions about Myeloma and transplantation. / Open Discussion.
- September 9 – Do we already have the tools to cure Myeloma? Sue Enright, Midwest Regional Director of Support Groups for the International Myeloma Foundation will join us to discuss the Black Swan Research Initiative, the IMF’s project to develop the first definitive cure for myeloma. Sue will also give update us on what the IMF is doing to support research , educate patients, and help support groups / Open Discussion.
- October 14 – Kara Johnson, LMFT, MSE, MEd, Oncology Psychotherapist with Park Nicollet Frauenshuh Cancer Center, will share her expertise about the emotional experience of cancer for patients and families, strategies for developing coping skills, and will highlight some of the community resources available for emotional and moral support. / Open Discussion.
- November 11 – During the Medicare ‘Open Enrollment’ period we ask, “Do you have the correct insurance for Myeloma”? Ally Anderson, Patient Financial Counselor with Minnesota Oncology will discuss cancer patients’ good and bad experiences with their insurance providers. In particular, those things which people expect to be covered but often are not, common misconceptions they might have about their coverage, and mistakes they may make with their coverage. Celgene Field Reimbursement Specialist, Deanna Gill , will also be on hand to discuss their patient financial access programs. / Open Discussion.
- December 9 – It’s that time of year again; our annual December “Alumni Meeting”. We’d like to invite anyone who has been living with Myeloma for 5+ years to tell us about living with MM long term. Let us know how you are doing, give hope and inspiration to the newly diagnosed, and to talk about the long range effects of Myeloma and it’s treatments. Please try to attend. / Open Discussion.
Park in the Blue Ramp at the Front of the hospital, which is the Heart & Vascular Cancer Center, park on the Ground floor, follow the hallway, the conference room is on the left behind the hall divider, across from the curved stairway.