The Twin Cities Support Group meets on the second Saturday of each month
from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon in the Heart & Vascular Center Conference Area at Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital
6500 Excelsior Blvd.
Saint Louis Park, MN
(Park in the Blue Ramp at the front of the hospital,
take the elevator or stairs down to the Ground Floor the conference room is behind the divider, across the hall from the large staircase.)
Following are our upcoming meeting dates and agendas.
Open Discussion refers to meetings where we share questions, news, stories, and topics for discussion. Almost all meetings have a Open Discussion period and most have guest speakers.
We look forward to having you join us.
❄︎ 2018 Meeting Schedule ❄︎
- January 13 – Our guest speaker will be Maribeth Smart, RN, MBA Clinical Nurse Educator with InVentiv Health for Janssen Oncology. Maribeth will discuss the monoclonal antibody Darzalex (daratumumab) which the FDA has approved for single and combination therapy in previously treated patients. Find out why Darzalex has quickly become one of the most popular weapons in the Myeloma arsenal/ Open Discussion.
- February 10 – “Will There Be a CAR-T Cell Breakthrough for Myeloma?” After the FDA approved CAR-T cell therapies to treat children and young adults suffering from a form of acute lymphoblastic leukemia and certain types of large B-cell lymphoma, Myeloma patients are asking if our disease is next. Our speaker will be Yi Lin, M.D., PhD, Mayo Clinic; Lead Researcher on Mayo’s Myeloma CAR-T Cell initiative. / Open Discussion..
- March 10 – Melanie Smerillo; MSN, RN, PHN Clinical Nurse Educator with Takeda Oncology will give us a presentation on the topic: “Understanding Lab Values” /Open Discussion.
- April 14 – IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR THE TWIN CITIES SUPPORT GROUP: Our scheduled speaker for today’s meeting has cancelled. We will continue with our meeting as a “General Discussion”.
- May 12 – Veronika Bachanova, MD, PhD Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation at the University of Minnesota will give us a presentation about her breakthrough research and ongoing U of M trial using donor Natural Killer Cells in combination with Elotuzumab to destroy existing Myeloma cells and prevent the the body from creating new ones. You can listen to her MyelomaCrowd interview HERE / Open Discussion.
- June 9 – Fraeunshuh Cancer Center tour and presentation/ Open Discussion.
- July 14 – Open Discussion. In the “dog days of summer” it’s a good time to discuss what we’ve each learned about living with Myeloma. Obviously the experts have answers to acknowledged medical issues but patients have discovered answers and have identified issues which the industry often has never addressed or seems to ignore. Let’s take this opportunity to discuss what we know and what we want to know.
- August 11 – TBA / Open Discussion.
- September 9 – TBA / Open Discussion.
- October 13 – Insurance and Myeloma. Speakers yet to be determined / Open Discussion.
- November 10 – TBA / Open Discussion.
- December 8 – It’s that time of year again; our annual December “Alumni Meeting and Pot Luck”. We’d like to invite anyone who has been living with Myeloma for 5+ years to tell us about living with MM long term and invite everyone to share food, stories, and their expectations for the coming year.
Park in the Blue Ramp at the Front of the hospital, which is the Heart & Vascular Cancer Center, park on the Ground floor, follow the hallway, the conference room is on the left behind the hall divider, across from the curved stairway.